[ihc] Fire extinguisher story

On May 10, 2004, at 7:23 PM, Ryan Moore wrote:

On the bright side... I do have a fire extinguisher I keep in the scout...
just in case... I think it's a good idea to have one in any older vehicle
(or any vehicle in general really). Better safe than sorry.

-Ryan
Years ago, i bought two "Dual Halon" fire extinguishers, one of which I carry in the Scout and the other in the Grand Cherokee. They are about the height of a soda can, and maybe 2/3'd as large in diameter. I never expected much from them, but they were dirt cheap at the time, and because of their size, I figured I could carry them in the glove compartment and/or console.

After BF Goodrich repaired my torn-out front shackle mount near the Salton Sea, I went out again into the "wilds" of the desert. As I was cresting the top of a mud hill, I saw a Bronco crossing the side hill below me, and applied the brakes forcefully. I didn't even slow down. Due to a merciful Providence (thank you, Rhode Island), the Bronco and I didn't quite come together.

Gravity finally stopped me, and I popped the hood to see where my brakes had gone. You may remember my telling you that the "lid" on the brake booster check valve had popped off, but I think I was too embarrassed to tell you that brake fluid was spitting out of the check valve and was hitting my Stan's headers and bursting into flame. I grabbed my little Dual Halon fire extinguisher and kept extinguishing flames until herself got back from looking at wild flowers and turned off the engine.

That little fire extinguisher was absolutely amazing! So, when I got back home, I went searching for a replacement. Hmm, seemed as if they were no longer available. Google search. Found some for sale. Just under $90 each. I haven't replaced it yet, probably never will. Apparently, they are now made from recycled "halon", which I guess is extremely expensive.

But they were dandy in their time. Anybody, besides me, remember the old pump Pyrene extinguisher? In my early teaching days, every school had one.

John Hofstetter