Re: [ihc] Fire extinguisher story

On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:48:46 -0700 John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided> wrote:
> That little fire extinguisher was absolutely amazing! So, when I got
> back home, I went searching for a replacement. Hmm, seemed as if they
> were no longer available. Google search. Found some for  sale. Just
> under $90 each. I haven't replaced it  yet, probably never will.
> Apparently, they are now made from recycled "halon", which I guess is
> extremely expensive.

Halon is one of the banned CFCs, manufacture is no longer permitted,.
thus the expensive recycled product.

there are various alternatives that are getting used in racing, like AFFF
and AFFF like stuff (brand names: SPA Lite, ZERO 2000, Coldfire 302,
to name three).  FM100 is out there, but the SCCA banned it because
of toxic side effects.

> But they were dandy in their time.

yes, halon is very effective, it's been a very difficult time trying to
come up with alternatives, both in automotive applications and in
datacenters.

richard