[ihc] cleaning pistons and new rings

Well, I'm still working on my IH 345 engine project.  It's fun.  I've got 2
quickies for the IH masters:

1. I'm cleaning the pistons with parts cleaner and a metal brush, and
scraping all the junk off until I see a shiny surface.  Is this going too
far with the cleaning frenzy, or is it correct?

2. I ordered a piston ring kit (set of rings for 1 piston, before ordering
for the other 7) from Napa.  The cylinder walls looked great and smooth, so
I just used a hone to de-glaze the surface as described in the service
manual.  I inserted the rings into the cylinder to check the gap and the
rings were too small (the gap was larger than specified in the book).  The
book suggests that if the gap is too small, then to try the next size ring
until you find the right size.  Well, like most, I don't have a huge
inventory of piston rings lying around (or maybe some of you do!).  So, is
there a scientific way to order the right size, besides asking Napa for the
next size larger until I find the right one?  What are the tricks?

I guess that last one wasn't too quickie.  Thanks.