Re: [ihc] 4WD to 2WD springs - lift, hangers

Jim Grammer wrote:

Assuming that your existing springs and the 2WD springs both have
approximately the original arch, you should have roughly the same result I
had: the axle mounting point on the springs will move down just about 2.5".
I may have to adjust my "lift estimates" for Chevy springs then.

I reverse engineered things around, starting with the front axle weight of my 1110 4x4 Travelall, a good guess at the factory spring rate (taken from a table of spring rates offered), and that my front springs sit pretty much flat at-rest.

I then worked the same weight against a few common Chevy 4" lift spring spring-rates and came up with about a 2" arch left in the Chevy springs at-rest.

I did NOT take into account the change from the 4x4 to the 2x4 spring hanger positions, and any lift netted just from that move.

Sounds like you might actually see 4" of lift from a 4" Chevy lift, when you combine the arch of the springs with the drop of the hangers.

is a guess based on the observed angles in my conversion, but I suspect
you'll be OK. Much beyond this, and I'd wish for an open knuckle axle that
could use a raised steering arm.
FWIW, I do believe you can do a cross-over steering or raised-arm setup on a closed-knuckle front end. You'll just find a lot less aftermarket support for the modification.

switch to urethane bushings('70's Dodge application). Not much you can do
about the dimples in the fixed mount without re-engineering/fabbing or
welding up the dimples. IIRC upgrading to 1/2 bolts lets you run the sleeves
On my 4x4 swap for my Travelette.. since I'm using a Dodge front axle and the spring spacing is, IIRC, 1" farther apart than a stock IH, I intend to "shim" the back side of the outer half of the front fixed spring hanger by welding a piece of 1/2" stock to the back.

On the inner side, the easiest "fix" is to start with a piece of ~3x2 angle. Use the longer "leg" of one side to space the hanger outboard the extra 1/2", use the other leg to clamp the spring.

I mention this because the inboard side of the fixed hanger could have the dimple eliminated very easily by substituting a piece of angle (with appropriate holes) in place of the dimpled-angle the factory used.

The outer hanger would be a little more interesting to remove the dimple.

-Tom