Re: Reply: [ihc] Welders

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Borck" <tborck@domain.elided>
To: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 10:00 AM
Subject: Reply: [ihc] Welders

> > Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided> wrote:
>
> > Binders, On my way home from AZIHR I picked up a Lincoln Stick welder
> > from a friend. AC-225S. So, the question is, what are the hints you can
> > give me before I go start playing?
>
> <snip>
>
> Joel:
>
> Dunno much about welding other than advising use of a welding helmet at
> all times.
>
> Had some arc welding done at a 3rd world shop here in Miami, and the
> welder set up the weld without a helmet, closed his eyes, and completed
> the weld.  It was a good weld.
>
> But I've *never* observed a welder act concerned about the fumes from the
> welding process.
>
> Based upon my involvement in dealing with pulmonary disease (in others) as
> a result of industrial processes - I would be concerned.

From my experience, the lungs are one of the big concerns in the hazards of
welding.
Some of the first welding electrodes were wraped with asbestoes to produce a
smoother, more controlled arc.  It worked so well that the weldors (obsolete
word for the people doing the welding )were dying to get those covered rods.
There was still a bit af asbestoes added to the fluxes untill 1982 IIRC,
when ALL asbestoes was prohibited from the fluxes.  Jim A.