Re: [ihc] Welders

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 7:07 PM
Subject: [ihc] Welders

> Binders,
>       On my way home from AZIHR I picked up a Lincoln Stick welder from a
> friend.  AC-225S.
> So, the question is, what are the hints you can give me before I go start
> playing?  I got a bunch of sticks too
> but I don't know what 6016, etc, etc means.  How do I determine what rods
> to use with what stuff, etc etc.
> Can I weld any other metal that just steels?  I got this so I could stick
> the thick stuff, trailer hitches need to
> be welded tougth the first time not several passes with the 120 kit.
>
> Thanks gang,
>
> Joel

Below is an explanation of the numbering system and some basic choice
options.
Here is a breakdown of the number ID system, and I will try to keep it
general and simple.
The numbering system replaced the spot, and dot color code system.

E 6011
The E signifies Electrode, the common term is welding rod

The 60 is minimum # psi of tensile strength * 1000.
A 60 series would hold 60,000 pounds minimum before failure in a cross
sectional area of 1"
A 70 --70,000,  90 -- 90,000, 110 -- 110, 000 etc.

The next digit is indicitive of the welding position.
1 = any position; flat,  horizontal, verticle,or overhead.
2 = flat, or horizontal.
3 = flat only  no longer a valid # .
4 = verticle down.  This was designed for the low hydrogen (alloy steels)
welding rods.

The last digit is an indication of the arc& flux characteristics, and is
influenced by the alloys that change the tensile strength.  Following is the
GENERAL discription of the number
0 = rutile, which promotes a digging arc deep penetration and best used DC +
= Direct Current  reverse polarity
1 = pottasium, like the 0 except will weld better on dirty steel and either
DC + = or AC Alternating Current
2 = don't recall, but is shallow penetration eg. sheet metal DC - Direct
Current Straight polarity
3 = pottasium& iron powder? medium penetration ,and easy starting,  thick
flux, wandering arc, and potential for holes.  primarily for AC can be used
on DC.
4= iron powder,  The arc end of the rod generates a crucible effect with
some of the flux, ( iron powder ) becoming part of the weld.  A very
efficient use of arc energy.  Any polarity AC DC +or-
5 = lime+, used for Stainless IIRC  DC+
6= don't recall. this is in the low hydrogen catagory, and is used in the
higher strength steels, and stays in place better than the 8 series in the
verticle mode. DC+     ( 12016 electrodes are used more than 12018 )
7 = seldom used and don't recall
8 = iron powder, Also low hydrogen and is DC+.    A 7018 ac is available and
is designed to be used on AC

Low hydrogen welding  rods were designed to overcome the formation of
hydrogen gas bubbles that lined up in the welding bead on alloy steel.  This
is referred to as underbead cracking, or hydrogen embrittlement.  That is
why they are to be kept moisture free. IIRC less than .5% moisture content
in a low hy.rod. And a 6010 rod should have 5% moisture content.  The dry
low hy. rods should NOT be in the same container as the others.  The result
will be the migration of moisture with both rods being sub standard.
The US Navy keeps their 7018 stored at 200 degrees F and issues only enough
rod to last 1 hour afte that the remainder is reheated to 800 degrees  fore
about 5 hrs IIRC, then put back in DRY storage.   Today most 7018 has a
moisture resistant coating.

I keep my rod in a gasketed sealed container, and when I have critical job,
( alloy steel ) I purchase fresh sealed rod.

For your AC welder I reccomend these welding rods.
6011 For mild steel.
6013 Can work but the negatives are not worth it. your choice practice on
scrap.
7014 Good for flat, and horizontal.
7024 Flat only.
7018 ac has a similar action as 7014 but is more ductile and built for alloy
steels frame etc.

For selecting the proper diameter?  I keep a few 1/16" ,3/32", and generally
use 1/8".  I also use 5/32 frequently.
General amp settings is to change the fraction to a decimal then move the
decimal point three places to the right.
Example 1/8 equals 0.125 move the dec, point 3 places rt. and you have 125
amps.  then adjust up or down depending on the power supply, flux, welding
position, and your ability.  For all verticle welding a short arc produces
lower voltage.  ( Arc length is the distance from the end of the rod to the
plate while welding. )  High voltage produces a runnier puddle.  If you have
a difficult weld, vert., overhead, or thin metal, increase the amps so the
rod won't stick as easy, then travel faster and make more passes.  Remember
to be a quality welder ( certified ) usually?   takes about 500 hrs. with
quality instruction.  Don't give up :-)

This is a scattered bit of info. that I hope will help.  If I confused any
one, let me know and will try to be more specific, or clear.

Jim  ( retired from the public school, not from helping people to learn ) A.