Re: Reply: [ihc] Welders

I've been learning & practicing for the last year.

A great book I found at the Library is called:

"Welders Handbook"  by Richard Finch 1997.

It is well written & he really knows his stuff (welded for Nasa, built race
cars, & taught welding).

Read the book & then pick up some 6011 rod, scrap metal &  practice,
practice, practice.  Once your good with 6011, try some 7018.
If the rod that came with your welder is old, toss it.
Bring your practice welds to a friend who knows, or the local welding shop &
ask their opinions.

Next you'll be looking for some good gloves & a good mask.
Check out Harbour Freight... They have sales on Auto-dimming masks for
$60-$70 (not great masks, but work ok for weekend welders).

Hope this helps...

Mike Bellew
Concord, CA
62 Scout 80, SBC 350, SM465, Dana 18,  D44s (Hi-Steer, Detroit/Spool,
Discs x4, blah, blah, blah), 35" Pro Comps, & 32 gallons of "Go" juice.
"All Whee Drive!"