Re: Reply: [ihc] Welders

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Mike Bellew wrote:

> Next you'll be looking for some good gloves & a good mask.
> Check out Harbour Freight... They have sales on Auto-dimming masks for
> $60-$70 (not great masks, but work ok for weekend welders).

Don't get HF's gloves, though...they're awful. Stiff, and the seams are
uncomfortable.  Dad warned me about'm AFTER I bought a pair...and I agree.

I bought a cheap mask from someone online about 3 years ago. solar
powered, fast turnon, reasonably large viewport, and a good range of
adjustability.....but I'll be damned if I can remember who I got it from
or what model it was.

It's acting wierd, now, though.  Sometimes it flickers a bit and doesn't
internal startup-battery needs to be replaced.  Haven't looked yet.

OTOH, mom tried out a few helmets (art student, doing a lot of metal work)
recently and decided she prefered the normal flip-down-yourself helmet.

A welder friend of mine (does a lot of bodywork for a living) doesn't like
to use auto-darkers, because of the extra flash your eyes are exposed to
before it darkens.  To much eyestrain.

Just some thoughts.  Now where DID i get that mask...one of the online
stores that sells Astro stuff, for sure...

--
        David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
keen@domain.elided	   http://www.expita.com/nomime.html