Re: [ihc] Welders

Joel, I tore my passenger side spring hanger out of my Scout II  frame, about a year and a half ago. I went ahead and did a reverse shackle, and used a stick welder to do all the fab work. Since it had been 20 years since I had welded, I went to the library, and checked out a few books on welding. I would invest in a good welders handbook, From what I remember, there are different rods for type of metal, the thickness (amps), how clean the surface, AC or DC... I do remember that it is important to store the rods in an air tight container, so they won't absorb moisture.

R,T, Sekhon
Scout II
Dallas,TX

Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided> wrote:
Binders,
On my way home from AZIHR I picked up a Lincoln Stick welder from a
friend. AC-225S.
So, the question is, what are the hints you can give me before I go start
playing? I got a bunch of sticks too
but I don't know what 6016, etc, etc means. How do I determine what rods
to use with what stuff, etc etc.
Can I weld any other metal that just steels? I got this so I could stick
the thick stuff, trailer hitches need to
be welded tougth the first time not several passes with the 120 kit.

Thanks gang,

Joel