Re: Reply: [ihc] Welders

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Ted Borck wrote:

> Had some arc welding done at a 3rd world shop here in Miami, and the
> welder set up the weld without a helmet, closed his eyes, and completed
> the weld.  It was a good weld.

I've seen folks do this too...ug.  Eyelids just don't provide the
appropriate radiation filtration...

> But I've *never* observed a welder act concerned about the fumes from the
> welding process.

While there are plenty of welders who don't appear concerned, many of the
professionals that I've met and talked with over the years (active and
retired) /are/ concerned about the smoke and fumes.  And flash.  I've dug
around for some of their commentary on these issues, but I'm not finding
it...hmm.

Proper ventilation is a must, and fresh air breathers are not a bad idea
for long projects or tight spaces.

...david

--
        David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html