Re: [ihc] Air Brake Systems

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Tom Mandera wrote:

> I have friends that bring generators and 110V air compressors to races.
>   The gas generator makes electricity that powers the air compressor
> that makes compressed air.
>
> I was thinking I could just run the compressor pump off the gasoline
> engine directly and avoid all of the energy loss by converting gas to
> recip motion / heat energy to electricity to an electric motor to an air
> compressor.

The gas-powered air compressors I'm familiar with two one of two things:

run constantly, venting compressor-air once tank pressure reaches
threshold.

or they run till they reach pressure, cut spark or fuel, and stop running.
when pressure reaches the lower threshold, they refire themselves.  More
complicated, and requires an engine that starts easy...:)

The former is easier, and you can probably find a pressure regulator to do
exactly that at a compressor supply house...

...david

--
        David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
keen@domain.elided	   http://www.expita.com/nomime.html