RE: [ihc] head gasket advice?

OK, now I get it. Thanks, John. I guess I've never encountered any covers
that were that far out of true, so I wasn't understanding. I've never had a
leak from the valve covers. And I actually used to change their gaskets as
part of every third "tune-up". (Don't ask me why - or why I have a half
dozen sets of slightly used, perfectly good, plugs, points, rotors,
condensers, caps... I'd have to admit that I used to have more time than
good information or common sense.) Anyway, the next time I pull them, I'll
be curious enough to put them on a machine table or something, see how much
daylight there is. On the Chevy design, that sounds like something that
could be fabbed up fairly easily. Has anyone ever tried that? Maybe some
slightly bent spring steel rectangles with a bolt hole at the apex? Like an
elongated fender washer with legs... Last question (yeah, right): why is the
rear of the valley plate so problematic? Was / is there a fitment problem at
that location? Thanks again, ~John A.
---