Re: [ihc] Trading a T98 for a T-35

Tom Reed wrote:

Hello Tom,

We took our 71 Travelette to Tulare last weekend, while talking shop with a
couple of the guys I was informed that the center bearing is a weak link in
this setup. If your going to make a custom drive shaft you might want to go
to one piece. Apparently the rubber bushings in the center bearings are
prone to problems.

Just a friendly FIY.

Tom Reed
Thanks, Tom.

I haven't decided just what's happening with the rear driveshaft. For now, it's going to get shortened a little.
Later, when I put the NP205 in, I might consider eliminating the carrier bearing, though the crossmember will be in the way.

I'd really like to just mount my Spicer brownie right about where the carrier bearing is, and do away with the carrier bearing that way. :-)

I've heard some info on putting the 5spd in my truck. It looks like I need to build something resembling an "L" plate, drilled to mount to the 2 5/8" bolts on either side (4 total) of the output shaft (which will require removing the brake hardware).
Of course, I *could* just continue to use the wrong bellhousing crossmember and bellhousing mounts.. but that makes the heads very close to the firewall and makes my shiny new headers useless.

I don't suppose anyone has the mount I'm in need of.. ;)

-Tom