Re: [ihc] Manual Transmission Differences T-18 & T-19 for Various Engines & Transfer Cases

At 1:28 PM 4/26/04, Peter  Shubin wrote:

>What are the differences between the T-18 and T-19 transmissions that were
>used in Scouts for the 258 I-6, 345, and 192?

That's a 196. the OTHER 4 was a 152.

>What are the differences between the T-19s that have a Dana 20 bolted to the
>rear and those that have a single speed transfer case?

Don't have a clue. Mainshaft, TC adapter (rear cover) and bull gear are the
three suspects for being different, though.

T-18 and 19 mainshafts are almost the same. The TC adapters are different
T-18 vs. T-19. The cases and covers are different for T-18 and T-19, even
when they mate with identical bells.

>Would a Scout with a 192 most likely get a granny low T-19 or a close ration
>T-19?

Close.

>If you are curious I am wondering if I can take a 258 (now 360), AMC bolt
>pattern T-18 bell housing, T-18, Dana 20 setup and make a 360, AMC bolt
>pattern T-18 bell housing, T-19, Dana 20 setup by using my current set-up in
>my '72 and mixing it with parts from a '78 Scout with a 192, T-19, and
>single speed transfer case.  These are all Scout II parts.  Or simply, can I
>swap a T-19 for a T-18 and not have to find any additional parts?

I SUSPECT that the T-18 mated with the AMC bell uses a different, shorter
input shaft and case--very likely the case with ears & Ford bolt pattern to
the bell housing.

T-18 and T-19 input shafts are the SAME part #, IDENTICAL. Only difference
is whether you have a wide or close ratio input gear.

So, to make the front part of it work, you will likely need a Ford T-19
case (assuming that is what fits the AMC bell). The input shaft from your
existing T-18 (if it's the ratio range you want) will need to go into the
Ford T-19 case along with the rest of the guts from a T-19 OF THE SAME
RATIO RANGE !!!!--not only is the cluster gear different, there ARE minor
differences in the 2nd and 3rd gears on the mainshaft !!!

Scout T-19 mainshaft and D-20 adapter will work.

Now, all you would need is a Scout D-300 & a 401 !! :-)

Greg