[ihc] Emmissions inspection

Digesters,

   First, My truck, 79 345 4barrel with a Holley points/PerTronix with
Jacobs 8.5 silicon wires, stock coil and Champion 87 plugs, blocked off EGR
valve, no air pump.

   I got my truck inspected here in NJ in February and failed for some body
stuff, but; my Emmissions, as per the norm, were well below the allowable
levels.

   The standard here is as follows:

Hydrocarbons 300

CO% 3.0

CO2% is not an issue, but; it is read.

   My results in February were as follows:

HC 78

CO% 1.45

CO2% 13.5

At 810 RPM's

   I got re-tested last week and my results were still fine, however; they
were a bit different.

HC 63

CO% .30

CO2%  13.2

At 756 RPM's

Second, a fellow that lives near me here has a 77 with a 345 2 barrel 2210
carb, gold box Holley, stock plug wires, Champion 87 plugs, blocked off EGR
valve, dual exaust. All the above parts are new. He can not get his truck
through inspection. He just failed once again today. His #'s were:

HC 491

CO% 1.86

CO2% 9.4

At 778 RPM's

   Now, what can we do to get that HC number down below 300? Before we
blocked off the EGR valve last week, his CH's were in the 600's and the CO%
was 3.9something. What causes high Hydrocarbons?

Dan Nees

cookiedan@domain.elided