Re: [ihc] Underhood Welders - Another Option

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: <Terry.Traver@domain.elided>; <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: [ihc] Underhood Welders - Another Option

> on 4/5/04 8:20 AM, Terry.Traver@domain.elided at Terry.Traver@domain.elided
> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just read John H's post about the Mighty Mite and Premier welders and
wanted
> > to share this info on another source that I found. These look
interesting
> > but I have no experience with any of them.
> >
> > See the Zena Mobile Welding system at www.zena.net
> >
> > Terry
> >

> Thanks for the URL, Terry. Now, that is a real welder! 200 amps 100% duty
> cycle. If a guy were really serious about his welding, that would be a
dandy
> way to go. That's a lot more welder than my stick welder at home.
>
> For getting it back together and getting home to your shop welder, if a
guy
> had a heavy duty alternator already in his vehicle, the Mity Mite would
seem
> to be a cheap and space-conserving alternative. On the other hand a real
> welder like Jim O. could put one of the Zenas on his 1300 and do mobile
work
> anywhere and on most anything.

Did the Jim O. come frome what my A sounds like in some of the Norwegian
dialects?  That was fun.

As far as the Zena goes, I don't think I could get on under the hood, and I
honestly don't see how I get that kind of amperage from the current v belt
pullys.  My 200 amp Lincoln with the four cyl. Hercules engine really grunts
when I load it full.  Also I have a 3600 watt generator in one of the
compartments that drives the wire welder.  I can't run the welder at the
upper limit, but between the two I am fairly flexible.   Thanks for keeping
an eye out for me, and my various endeavors.

Speaking of various endeavours;  On the last Friday of March and the first
Friday of April, I was busy plowing snow.  Elevation above 4,000 ' , and the
snow had about 1"-2" of ice at the base with from 1" - 15" of snow that was
of a drifted consistancy, and another 1' - 2" of crust on the top.  The
depth varried depending on tree shelter, shade and steep hills.  I had to
chain all fours and and worked three hours the first Friday, untill I had to
admit defeat, after clearing about a half mile of forest road.  After some
minor adjustments, adding about one ton of counter weight, and a different
technique, I returned the following Friday and finished the most difficult.
That took 3.5 hours.  The first defeat was vindicated with a victory.  And a
very happy couple that can lock up the snomobile and drive their 4x4s to
their secluded home.

I do miss the adventures at Tulare, and the friendly visits with the fellow
IH'ers.  Cheers Jim A.