From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
John Hofstetter
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 1:40 PM
To: spamaddy@domain.elided; ihc@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] gaskets and gasket goop

on 4/11/04 9:13 PM, spamaddy@domain.elided at spamaddy@domain.elided
wrote:

> What's the consensus on using gasket sealer on IH engines?  My 345 was
> leaking oil (from everywhere!), so I'm tearing it down and replacing
gaskets
> on the valve covers and oil pan.  The surfaces appear fine, but I
don't want
> to do this job again anytime soon.  Would it be "safe" to use some
high-temp
> gasket sealer when installing the new gaskets?  What are y'alls
thoughts?

Well, I thought you'd have a ton of answers already, but seeing that
none
have come through, here's what I think.

Some guys have successfully eliminated the gaskets entirely with "The
Right
Stuff". This course of action is for long time applications as it is
difficult to remove after it is set up, and also it requires fastidious
cleaning of the surfaces if it is to adhere properly. Clean with
acetone,
benzene, or xylol.

Some guys use an RTV sealer on the gaskets, but be sure if you use this,
let the stuff skin over before mating the surfaces. My son, the full
time
mechanic in our family prefers the black stuff, others prefer the
orange.
You won't need high temperature gasket stuff for either of the
applications
you're looking at.

My preference is to use Gascacinch on my gaskets, which makes for easy
removal and clean-up and at least for me seals well. Hi-tech spray stuff
works well for me also.

I prefer Fel-Pro gaskets to Victors or any other I've seen.

It is very important to have the edges of the the valve covers and pan
flat,
Pound out the waves in the edges created by former tightening on the
bolts.
In installing the new gaskets, go slightly more than snug. Do not cinch
down
with much force. You do not want to sink the sheetmetal down around the
bolt
holes. Besides that you may want some slack for future tightening as the
gasket shrinks. There's an inch/pounds recommended torque for this, but
don't know what that number is.

The hardest gasket for most IH guys is the rear of the valley plate.
Really
hard to get in right and not have it leak.

John

John Hofstetter    AKA Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs