Re: [ihc] 3/1 phase question

At 7:16 AM 4/6/04, Ryan Moore wrote:

>> An inverter or rectifier is not what's needed. You COULD just hook up the
>> leads from one phase of the generator, but---- EWWWWWW !!
>>

>But that means you only get 1/3 of the power output (although it would work
>and it sounds like the thing may even be big enough to do what he wants like
>that too).

errrm--Actually 58% of the power (1/1.732) would be available if only one
phase were hooked up. Probably a bit more than this if you went by the heat
rise, since you would only have IR losses in two of the three windings .

>> I've never seen a rotating three phase converter run backwards---but MAYBE
>>> >

>I think a mechanical inverter might not be too bad, I'm sure they exist out
>there somewhere too,

That's what I was talking about.

 I don't know if the rotating 3 phases can run
>backwards, depends if the 3 phase is set up so it can run as a motor too...

Most rotating converters are wound entirely in one frame --no shaft
sticking out and no coupling.

Greg