[ihc] Junk iron

I've seen the posts about scrap prices...prices fell again this week here in central KY. Down to $30/ton for car bodies from a $50 high and $60 for "short steel" from an $80 high. A guy in MA told me they were getting $80 for light steel...what we call loose tin (truck cabs without frames, loose hoods, door shells etc.) We only get $10 a ton now, I think,  for that from a $30 high. I heard that factories nearby are getting $300 + a ton for some sort of left over steel roll. I had heard reports of car body prices being $130 a ton at the height in OH. They were putting them on railcars and sending them out west. If $1200 /ton were true, everyone would be shipping stuff out there. There would be a traffic jam for sure for 1000 miles.

I don't see how it could be true.....I get email from a russian egroup and somone was offering 10,000 tons on there for less than $24/ton.

Rocky