Re: [ihc] Joel's Trailer Towing

Joel - airbags will only solve your "sag" problem.. while the L/D hitch will keep some weight off that rear axle.

Have you scaled the Traveler with a loaded trailer in tow? How much weight on the rear end in the Traveler? If it's over 3500lbs, you've exceeded the GAWR, and you're a smoked-wheel-bearing waiting to happen. :D

With the distributing hitch, you can move some of that weight to the front axle and attempt to balance things out better.

My L/D hitch was $50, used.

Do you think air-bags will be less than $200?

Joel M Brodsky wrote:

The hitch goes half way up under the truck and is designed for a L/D setup,
but I'm too cheap to pony up for the bars and such right now.
Adda leafs will make the truck almost unmanageable with anything except a
heavy trailer back there.  Bags seem like the happy medium from the
add-a-leafs, plus, bags load the frame, instead of loading more stress on
the springs/mounts which are always so suspect on IH anyway, and I already
have on-board-air to supply them.  Have you found a L/D setup for under
$200 anywhere?  I'm new to the L/D world (this being Load Distributing,
--no comments from the Peanut Gallery!), so I'm reluctant to step up if I
haven't seen all the options.

Anyone have opinions about Load Distributing setups and recommendations?

Thanks!

JoelB
Too much stuff, not enough time...