Re: [ihc] Brake Lines-Many Questions

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:54:48 -0500 "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided> wrote:
> Okay, in putting new brake lines on this Scout 800/Diesel I have, what is the
> best route to go?  Should I buy a "bender" and do my own metal ones?

there are two tiers here. you can buy straight sections of brake line with ends
already flared, and just bend them to shape. it'll look a lot better if you use
a nice tubing bender like the one i posted about on this list a few weeks ago.

otherwise, you'd need a flaring tool, which is not unreasonable, but one more
piece you need to buy.

> I know
> Tom M has bent a lot of tubing-ever done brake lines?  Any advice?  If I can
> do it myself, what diameter tube am I talking about for a '77 Diesel non-power
> braking system?

in general, brake line should be 3/16", power or not.

> What about having soft lines made for the whole system?  Is this an option?
> Again, what info would I need to give the hose guys that make them?

it's an option, but it's an expensive option, and the resulting pedal feel will
be poor by comparison with a system that uses mostly hard line. i wouldn'd
do it.

richard