[ihc] Random Tidbits From Pete

IH All,

A few odds and ends.  Now that I have nothing but time on my hands (sacked
from Worldcom a few weeks ago, as I feared!), I'm trying to get caught up on
a little Scout maintenance.  Initially, I was concerned that we might have
to part with it if things got rough.  Interestingly, my wife said we'd fight
hard to avoid that!! ;-) That's encouraging! I will have severance pay
coming until early May, so we're not starving (yet!).

On the down side, I had great plans of trying to make it to RMIHR. Looks as
if that's not to be, at least at the moment.

Anyhow to the point(s):

1) Out of curiosity: What's the little relay thing on the driver side
firewall - it says Delco-Remy and has a green (? IIRC) wire running to a
brake bias (proportioning?) block. I'm guessing something that assists in
sensing/signaling/lighting up the "BRAKE" light on the dash, perhaps. True?
Or something else? No problem with it, just curious.

2) Being a body work neophyte (actually a LITTLE experience) -- What grit
sandpaper (discs) is good to take off old paint/primer, etc. I don't care so
much about speed of the prep work as much as minimal repair/reconstruction
afterwards - nothing sooo aggressive that it would make more work later;
e.g.; a "20 boulder per inch" or something might be too severe, but what
might be good?  I have a small area (~ 1.5") on my driver side rear quarter
that has "cracked" (Waaaaayyyyy too much Bondo/filler from DPO), and shows
great promise of spreading/fracturing further.  I'll be using a variable
speed DA to sand with. Perhaps not the optimal tool, but better than
nothing.

3) Anyone had any success replacing the windshield wash pump with a generic
one? Do they fit the IH jug nicely (no leaks, etc.?). I've got the factory
bottle, but no working pump.

4) Anyone just happen to have a driver side wiper arm hangin' around taking
up valuable shop space?! ;-) Or - Anyone know of a reasonable substitute
that would fit the driver side? What make/model/year range vehicle(s)? Long
story, but trust me, I need a whole new arm. An "original" type would be
prefered, but beggars can't be choosers.  Drop me a note  off digest and we
can negotiate!

Well, that's probably it for now. I appreciate all the help, hints, sage
words of advice, etc. Feel free to "answer by the numbers"!

Lookin' for work IS work, and its VERY "dry" out here in the Tulsa metro
area.  But your answers to all this might help give me something to do in
between hitting the job search engines, updating & e-mailing & faxing
resumes, etc. An idle mind is the devil's workshop, or no rest for the
wicked, or... Well... Just ask my wife!  %^}

Kind Regards,

--Pete

   ||( )| | | | | |( )||  Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |  '77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\] More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\] http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\] http://www.pferris.com/scout