[ihc] Mil-spec

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:12:08 -0600
From: "Dennis Bernth" <scoutdude@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Re: Civ/Military vehicles

  Joel-
  That brings up a good point. For guys looking for heavy duty axles for
swaps, that government liquidation web site would be a place to look. One of
the four wheel rags bought a CUCV pickup off of that site and is running a
series of articles on building it up. But, if you check that site out,
you'll see more CUCV's that are belly up than are in running condition. If
you find one close enough, you could probably bid and buy cheap enough that
by the time you part the rest out, the axles would be a 'gift'. LOTS of 2.5
and 5 tonners though, if you want to get real serious with your axles....

IH content(!) - How 'bout all those military Loadstars? 24V? 'Mil spec'?

4W&OR bought their truck at Vandenberg, about 50 miles from me. The going
rate on the couple of auctions I've followed was $900-1200. This for a CUCV
in obviously rough and otherwise unknown condition. I guess you could narrow
the field if you had time to pre-inspect the lots, but that was too much $$
for me to take a flyer on.

Jim