Re: [ihc] Re: Humphrey's Coil Voltage

on 3/24/04 2:11 PM, George B Humphrey at xgbhx@domain.elided wrote:

> You are probably right about this. I noticed a change in voltage draw,
> after I installed the Ford solenoid. I've never changed the starter and
> everything on the Scout was old or original when I bought it. How much
> did your cheapo tester cost? Can auto parts stores do this test, without
> removing the starter? I definitely will get it tested. Thank you for the
> suggestion.

I think the tester at JC Whitney was about $15. I don't know about auto
stores testing amp draw without removing the starter. I'm sure that Snap-on
makes an expensive tool to do this, but I don't know about AutoZone having
one. <g>

> I made the conversion because the 345 puts out a lot of heat when
> crawling through the desert. I figured as a preventative measure, to keep
> me from sitting in 100+ weather waiting for the starter solenoid to cool
> down, I would do the conversion.

Good idea, but I'm pretty sure that you now need a starter. Except for
brushes, the main wear in the starter motor is in the bushings, and worn
bushings let the armature drag on the field coils. As I've already said,
amperage draw can be horrendous.

John