Re: [ihc] My SII/800 project, questions

At 8:58 PM 3/20/04, DeepSouthScouts@domain.elided wrote:
> bearbvd@domain.elided writes:
>>

>> 'Fraid I was correct the first time.
>>
>> Neutral balance the V-8 flywheel, and put it onto the 152.  This simply
>> involves cutting the bob weight (cast in) off the back side in a lathe and
>> then balancing it. Use all V-8 parts from the bell housing and crank
flange
>> back, including the customized flywheel, clutch, clutch linkage, etc..
This
>> SHOULD put the t-case shifter and tranny cane in the correct location for
>> the holes in the SSII floor, let you use a stock SSII clutch linkage, and
>> leave the driveshaft lengths alone.
>>
>> I don't know whether the SSII front motor mounts will mount a 152 at a 450
>> angle (instead of the 300 it came at in the 80/800's) in a SSII frame, or
>> NOT. You MIGHT need a set of Scout II 4 cyl front motor mounts !!
>>
>> Mebbe Howard or someone can look in a parts book and tell us whether the
>> SSII's used the same front motor mounts for 4's and V-8's !!!
>>
>> Greg
>>

>Greg,
>
>Its a 152 and 3 speed from a Scout 800 not a Scout 80 if that makes any
>difference about the tranny input shaft length and/or whether it is a T 90
>trans.

No it doesn't. What fooled me was you talking about it having a Dana 18
transfer case. If it came from a Scout 800 and is unmolested, it would have
a Dana 20 case--with TWO shift levers. The rear output on these, like all
Dana 20's, is centered, in line with the transmission and crankshaft axis.

>4 cyl SIIs did use the same engine mounts as the V8 SII (Scout II).

OK. Info filed !! :-)

>The SII engine mounts will place the 152 sitting in the SII frame engine
just
>like a V8 sits there,

Which is exactly why you want to use the V-8 tranny, bell, etc.--everything
will FIT !!

 and that means the 152 carb will not sit flat, the
>dipstick wont read true, etc, but I can deal with that.

Understood.

>There wont be holes in a SII floor, Im using an "800A" body on a SII frame,
>and will most likely need "custom" holes in the 800A floor.

OK :-)

>That means a custom clutch linkage, but I can deal with that.
>
>I guess some of this is theoretical speculation till I take the (stock?)
800A
>drivetrain out, split it up, and see exactly what I have.

An 800A drive train is DIFFERENT from an 800. For starts, the t-case has
only one lever. In a V-8 800's 7 800A's , the tranny (if a 3 speed) has a
much longer transfer case adapter. The tranny covers have different hole
locations from 4 to 8's !! Assortment of different driveshaft lengths,
depending on engine AND tranny (3 vs 4 speed in the 800's, anyway).

>I just dragged it home today. Hopefully I can start wrenching on it before
>the HOT sets in.

Hey--it was our version of 'hot' here today--a lot of the snow pack on the
valley floor is starting to go bye bye !!

Greg

>Mike Toney
>Mobile, AL.
>Southern International Harvester Owners [S.I.H.O.]
>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/southernihowners
>72 Scout II, 4x4, 304, T18, 3:31
>73 1010 Travelall, 2wd, 345, 727, 3:54
>A couple of Scout 800's
>http://www.myinternationaltrucks.iwarp.com/
>
><HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10
>FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"> bearbvd@domain.elided writes:
><BR>
><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT:
>5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
><BR>
>'Fraid I was correct the first time.<BR>
><BR>
>Neutral balance the V-8 flywheel, and put it onto the 152.&nbsp; This
>simply<BR>
>involves cutting the bob weight (cast in) off the back side in a lathe
and<BR>
>then balancing it. Use all V-8 parts from the bell housing and crank
flange<BR>
>back, including the customized flywheel, clutch, clutch linkage, etc..
This<BR>