RE: [ihc] Clutch setup

## >> Also watch out for the carrier for the throwout bearing.  It
## >> comes in two lengths short and long and the difference is
## >> around 3/4 inch.  Both will work but you really want the
## >> longer one for the 345.  BTW both the short and the long have
## >> the same part number.  I confirmed that with SSS and my local
## >> parts shop.

yes...  the 392/T18 combination really benefits from the longer carrier,
too.  when the throw-out bearing failed in our 800A, it chewed up the
carrier too, so i had to replace both of them.  i called around, and only
Kragen's had the two items in stock for my application (they were the only
ones that had either of them, much less both at once).  i went ahead and got
both of them, but it turned out the carrier was the short one.  it had the
zerk fitting in the side of it, and i didn't realize when i picked it up
that it was short.  at the time i only had one shot at getting to a parts
place and putting the transmission and clutch back together due to pressing
need of the truck the next day, so i went ahead and used it.

i will say that the short carrier makes a big difference in the feel and
operation of the clutch.  i had to take in a lot of slack on the adjuster to
get it set right, and that doesn't leave very much adjustment for wear or
anything else.  i don't like it.  one of these days i'll take some time and
replace it with the longer carrier.

usual nickel/grain of salt.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.