Re: [ihc] Front Spindles Heat treated?

At 9:41 PM 3/16/04, James Lidberg wrote:

Jim--

A quick thought on this:

Did this truck have a disc brake conversion on the front ???

IF so--many of the disc conversions can with new hubs with bearing outer
races (cups) already installed AND with a new set of bearing cones and
cups.

Natural reaction when installing such a kit would be, "Why press out the
cups that are already in there, and brand new, just to replace them with
these others ??

ANSWER IS : "Because, even though those cups that are in there LOOK exactly
the same as these new, still in the box ones, they have a SLIGHTLY
different TAPER !!!"

Yep, the disc hubs provided with the kits were from some J**p application
or another, and they came with the cups (wheel bearing outer races) already
installed, BUT the cups in the hubs, appearances to the contrary
notwithstanding, WERE NOT compatible with the cones (inner bearing halves)
that fit the IH spindles properly  !!!!

This bearing mismatch is a SURE recipe for the kind of foilure you
experienced !!!

And, NO, don't ask how I came to know all this, for the past 22 years, no
less !!!!

(But--when it happened to me--I DID get two new spindles !!)

Greg