[ihc] Strange Behavior

Reapers, Digesters, Countryman, lend me thine ear:

   I have a bit of a puzzle that I have been trying to track down for some
time now. When it rainy  and wet, especially when it is 'really' wet out,
Good starts to miss and run generally poorly.  Like when the dizzy has water
in it. It started about a month ago.

   Facts, 79 345, Holley points dizzy, 4 years old with Pertronix Ignitor,
Jacobs 8.5 silicon plug wires (lifetime guarantee, 4 years old), stock coil,
new Dizzy cap.

   Now, I changed the dizzy cap when this started, but; the store did not
have a new rotor at the time I bought the cap, so it has the old rotor in it
 I have sprayed the interior of the cap with WD-40 (One of the few uses for
the stuff).

   Now, here is the kicker, when it is running rough, and on the highway it
kinda limits the top highway speed to 55MPH, sometimes even lower that that,
it kinda progressively drops speed, like a limiter. Even with the pedal
pressed all the way to the floor. When it starts acting this way, if I pull
over and shut the truck off, the restart it, the problem seems to go away!

   It hasn't done this for a couple of weeks, but; it was doing it again on
the way home, so I decided to turn to the digest for help. My thoughts were
on the coil, or the PerTronix. The plug wires I have been running forever.
This set is 4 years old, but; I had a set for the Prestolite dizzy that I
ran for about 6 years that were flawless. The coil is a stock coil about 4
years old, I think. I haven't swapped out the PerTronix for points yet, but;
if it were the PerTronix going bad, it would not be doing it only when it is
wet, but; all the time.

Dan Nees

cookiedan@domain.elided