RE: [ihc] Question about an M5

Opps, I got investigating and the high speed tractors are M4s.

An M5 is a "Stuart" light tank.  An M5 is also a 2 1/2T IH truck that
the Marines used in the Pacific Theater in WWII. Prime mover for
artillery.  The 5 designates how many 1/2 tons (or was it 1/4 tons) it
was rated for. An M5H6 would be a 2 1/2 T and have 6 driven wheels,
right?

Now I remember something about a post here where a club got a hold of
one from some tractor guys.  Colin, am I tracking now?

Colin, send me your address and I will get you a photocopy of an article
from Military Vehicles Magazine.  It was about this series of trucks and
was very complimentary to IH. "overbuilt" is used throughout the
article.

One of their writers slams Scouts fairly often, he evidently owned a '62
at one point and its lack of power comes up a lot. It is always his
example when he talks about an underpowered vehicle.  Then he talks
about some other military vehicle he put an SV in and loves it.

You don't see much about them in MVM. Evidently not a big collectors
item.  Most of them left on Pacific islands? <shrug>

Ed