Re: [ihc] Pics of the rock fix on my torn out spring mount,

on 3/10/04 2:40 PM, Tom Mandera at tsm1@domain.elided wrote:

> I'd be more concerned about the Hi-Lift kicking out and hitting the
> weldor in the thigh than the Scout actually falling on anyone.

You know, that was the first time I had ever operated (make that try to
operate) a Hi-Lift jack. I won that at RMIHR, and laughed about winning it
because I never had had a need for one. In fact I almost gave it to Joel
there in Salida. Decided that even if I never used it, it made the Terra
look more prepared, so kept it.

And, the damn thing really didn't want to operate. I couldn't get the lift
mechanism to go up or down. We ended up oiling it with some Mobil I that I
had in the back of the Scout. I got fired from the operating handle, for
which I was not unhappy. Back at the welder, I felt I should do my share,
but it was all my considerable weight could do to jack that sucker.

JT the welder took the handle away from me and could jack the thing by
jumping up in the air and letting his falling weight push the handle down.

No wonder I never owned one of those suckers. Saved my bacon this time,
though. Thanks RMIHR.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs