Re: [ihc] Cabin Insulation

John M. Adams wrote:

Tom, have you tried insulating the firewall / floor? I recently bought some
surplus material from a company here that makes insulated cockpit & engine
covers & such for the airline industry. It's a thin, quilted, reflective
I did experiment with some stuff on this trip. I had originally intended to cover the engine bay side of the firewall with "Reflectix" - it resembles aluminum foil backed bubble-wrap.

I didn't have time, so that got nixed.. but I did buy a Reflectix "windshield sun screen" which I folded up and placed on the passenger side floor and firewall, inside, to see if it would cut down on the heat my then-soon-to-be-wife would have to endure (since the promised AC went unfulfilled).

Driving into Moab, with 100degF ambient temp, I was MELTING.. I used my infrared themometer to "zap" her floor covered in Reflectix.

Hmm.. 100degF.

I then zapped my floor and firewall.

Hmmm.. 140degF!!

While in Moab, two more windshield screens were purchased. One went down on my floor/firewall under the pedals, the other got a hole cut in it, and went over the gearshift and the transmission tunnel.

Results? 100degF on both floors with 100deg ambient temp, but 140deg just behind the insulation on the tranny tunnel. Fortunately, that was behind us. :D

I still intend to coat the firewall and floors with this stuff, along with some sound dampening material n' such.

Just need to get my new shop finished so I have a place to work again..

-Tom