[ihc] Re: Clutching a pilot bearing

Please allow me to answer at least one of my own questions:

The adapter(big pilot bearing to 3/4 speed bearing) in the flywheel is .5" depth. IME, the pilot bearing is normally installed flush with the clutch side of the flywheel. That means there's *plenty* of room for the .433" thickness of a standard 6202 series bearing. In fact, that's what was previously installed in this flywheel. Judging from the wear lands on the pilot nose of the tranny input, there's a good .060" more toward the splined section before you run into the fillet radius.

I don't see *any* reason the 7109 bearing needs to be used in our application. The only thing I can think of is that the thinner thickness(he, he) is required in another application('47 - '52 Buicks and '69 - '74 Pontiacs that I know of), and the commonality of the ID/OD dim's lets them agglomerate our application.

After my little metrology session, I thought to check my stash of misc. bearings. Lo and behold, there were not one, but two vintage New Departure double shielded units with the correct ID/OD and a full .5" width. One of them is now installed in the flywheel with no clearance worries. The $27 solution goes back ASAP. :)

While being prepared buying parts ahead is usually a good idea, sometimes ya just gotta tear it apart and measure...

Jim