[ihc] RE: Clutch pilot bearings

OK, so the core plugs in the back of the block *weren't* leaking :(  BUT,
one at the back of the heads was. I think I can get to them from the back
with the tranny out, worst case I'd have to pull the heads anyway(can you
say 'escalation'?).

In the process, however, I discovered the clutch that had been(fairly
recently) installed by the PO was set up with the release forks way too
high. The heads of the adjuster bolts on the arms were worn paper thin, and
unevenly to boot. A little welding last night produced a nice facsimile of
the bridge arm shown in TFM, and combined with my little steel surface plate
and the HF hyd. press I'm now equipped to do the setup properly. Hacked out
a set of the proper dimension pressure plate spacer blocks, sure wish I had
a mill ;) Had to go manual-surfing to find the correct spec, 12 spring
clutches aren't covered in my SII manuals, or any of other light line
service manuals I have. Good thing I have a complete CTS-2300, circa '68 or
so :)

The pilot bearing felt major graunchy, so off I go to the only parts store
in town with the right bearing listed by application. $27. Ouch! Yes, I know
CSK/PA lists them for $17. I wanted one *today*. Back at my desk I find the
bearing is an WTW 6202W9Z, made in Japan. One side shielded, the other side
open. The open side goes into the flywheel, so *theoretically* no crud gets
in that side. But...there was rust between the crank and flywheel when I
pulled them apart, and plenty of iron oxide in the bearing. Wouldn't a
double sealed bearing be better? Time for a little research, 6202 is a
garden variety bearing, but the standard width is .433" where the 'official'
bearing is .352". Anybody know OTOH if there's .080" to spare on the pilot
nose of the tranny input before it would side load the pilot bearing?
Anybody else tried this?

Thanks,

Jim