[ihc] Re: Selectro hubs, was Dualmatics....

Yep. I was informed they were weaker a long time ago, but I continued to run them. I even got a few extra sets from other digesters that had upgraded to the factory (or aftermarket) Warn units after breaking a few.

I thought they were a neat fuse at the time - I broke several Selectros without damaging anything else.

Then one day I broke a Selectro, hit a bystander 20' away, shot the U-joint caps out, broke the stub shaft, wiped out all of the shear pins in my Lockright, and ripped the rear axle spring perch from the housing on one side and bent the other.

So much for my "fuse"..

I run factory Warns now with 36s, and the only hub I've lost was my fault. I broke an axle shaft, and damaged the hub while taking it apart to get the broken shaft out.

FWIW, the shaft broke just behind the "C", snapped clean, but not before shattering the rest of the stub shaft length wise, and egging out the spindle ruining my spindle and wheelbearings, which made it quite difficult to remove the wheel hub. :)

-Tom

Dennis Bernth wrote:

Tom-
Are you trying to say the Selectros aren't the strongest hubs going? I've got a couple of sets, a brand-new-in-the-box set marked 'Dana', and a set on a 79 Terra parts truck that are marked International. The 'compact' version of the lineset is in the glove box of the parts Terra; it had just about every option you could get on a Scout in 79, pillow back buckets, cruise, air, tilt, rallye wheel, white spokes, and the Selectro hubs are listed as an option. First ones I've run across on a parts rig (I've had <several>), so they must not have been a very popular option. I'm thinking of using those axles under my 73 Scout II (they're 3.73's, and low mile), so maybe I should use something other than the Selectro's when I do?
Dennis