Re: [ihc] Flaring tool?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 16:42
Subject: Re: [ihc] Flaring tool?

> Ryan,
>       Not sure if you've actually done a double flare, but all the
> literature I've found in the last week has showed that you first make a
> bulge in the pipe with the anvil, the squish the top part of the bulge
back
> into the flare to make the second layer.
> Not, flare first, then squish.

Yes, that's correct,  I wasn't trying to tell you to flare first, sorry.

> I might be off base, but I don't see how it works based on your
> description.

You put the anvil on to make the bulge, take the anvil off and then continue
pressing to make the flare.

> The fuel line (from the fuel pump vertical) on the truck has the bulge
part
> and that's all.  That's supposed to be the point at which the hose clamp
no
> longer slides off?

Yes it is...  A lot of fuel hoses just use that.

> I've been just making a single flare, smoothing the edges with a file,
then
> pushing the hose over with a clamp around it.
>
> Maybe I'll hit up the used tool place for those anvils sometime.  Anyone
> know if they're available somewhere?
>
> thx,
> JoelB

Check out Advanced Autoparts' kit... it was only like $15 IIRC (couldn't
have been *that* expensive, or I wouldn't have bought it!).

-Ryan

---