Re: [ihc] Gear wrenches

At 8:28 PM -0600 2/25/04, Ryan Moore wrote:
 >> who just pretzeled a boat trailer...
What happened?
-Ryan
Operator Error.
I normally tow a long, tall, heavy trailer with $300k worth of equipment on it -- talk about vigilant! But yesterday I was just doing some service on our motorboats, so I was towing a small galvanized trailer that you can't see when the launch isn't on it. I was driving down a path to pull a launch when I noticed a downed tree limb hanging on the path to the service area. Thought, I'll climb in the bed of the pickup and get that down before it scratches the hell out my new truck. Forgot the trailer was there, doggone it, and backed up, jacknifing it against the truck. That 3" box steel bent like a flexible straw, 90-degrees. Fortunately, a cross-timber put a small scratch in the bed of the truck but little else. And the bent steel is a simple box beam, so I can replace it with a little money and a few hours of drilling and moving parts over.
All in all, a cheap reminder to pay attention even when there aren't big bucks on the line.
Boss even said he'd pay for the steel.
Best,
Joel

--
Joel Furtek <http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll>; jf7e@domain.elided
Boatman, Virginia Women's Rowing 434/981-6811 (cell); 434/975-CREW (boathouse)