Re: [ihc] 74/75 Starters Update to clarify

Ryan,
      The GM swap that you mentioned with the NV trans, etc. may have been
anomalous.  It is my understanding that the ring gear dimensions are the
same for the manual trans as they are for the automatic.  The difference is
*where* the ring gear is.  It is also my understanding that the Auto Trans
flex plate with associated ring gear sits closer to the joint between the
engine and trans and thus the starter must be shimmed back a bit (1/8" or
so?) for correct engagement of the starter pinion on the ring gear teeth of
the flex plate.

      Now, all that being said, why are we even discussing this?  I'm not
sure.  It had a 392 with a 727 and a starter with a shim.  I put in a
...ummm.  -bigger than a 392, to a 727 with a starter with a shim, so it
should be same-same, no?  Well, something is amiss and the shim doesn't
look to be the likely culprit.  much.  I'm hoping at this point that the
starter is mounted a bit too close to the ring gear on the flex plate and I
believe the ring gear to be NOS with brand new teeth.  Which should also
explain some of the extra added gear mesh noise when the starter was
running.

JoelB