[ihc] Special tools: More than you wanted to know

Other than my big open end wrench for IH water pumps, I don't have many
tools just for IH vehicles.

I do have a clutch pilot tool made of oak. I've always turned my own clutch
pilots as I can get the fit that makes the job easier.

I have a drum puller I made for my Travelall's brake drums. Long cross piece
with a long screw coming out of the center and two arms to grab the edges of
the drum. Ugly, but effective.

Non IH, but interesting tools out of the past, nevertheless.

19/32's and 25/32's sockets. A very thin wall 9/16's socket for the
connecting rod nuts on flat head Fords. A factory wrench for removing the
large  (make that very large) bolt that holds the fly wheel on Mazda rotary
engines. The wrench is about 4 feet long and is made to put a cheater pipe
on.

An interesting tool that I don't use very often is my SkewDriver set. Gets
to screws that nothing else can get to.

How about internal pipe wrenches? Unfortunately for me, my set was made by
some primitive blacksmith in the wilds of Mongolia, or the like. A good set
is a life saver when you need it.

Maybe the tool with the most promise and the worst delivery on that promise
is the EZ Out. I have maybe 4 different kinds and none of them really work
for me. I've become, pretty much, a nut welder. I put a nut on top of
whatever has to come out, weld inside the hole, and take the broken piece
out with a wrench. The heat from the weld enhances the removal.

A tool we should all have is a good set of thread chasers. It should be a
crime for people to use good dies to chase threads.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs