Re: [ihc] Tools, tools, tools

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Jim Grammer wrote:

> Thanks for the reminder, Ted. Somehow I'd forgotten that one, and I'll be
> R&R-ing a tranny/t-case *real* soon. That'll be part of the prep work. I'll
> also be modifying a HF tranny jack adapter to SII-specific use, prolly by
> drilling the base plate for the trans mount studs. Something about just
> wrapping a chain around the T-19/t-case combo seems more than a litle hokey
> to me ;).

The guide bolts are a *big* help.

And as you well know, the HD trans jack gives you more control, and if
necessary, during the R&R, you can stop what you are doing, do the new
task (like sleep), and come back to the R&R.

The trans jack was the only special tool I rented for my R&R.

If the trans and transfer case is going to be removed as a unit - I would
try and figure where the center of gravity (e.g aircraft pitch) is in
relation to the trans mount.  If the trans jack is going to try and tip
when loaded, that's not a good thing.

Not being familar with 4 speed/transfer case combos, my caution may be
unnecessary.

A floor jack can be use to R&R relatively light Porsche engines and trans.

As you well know, attempting to use a floor jack to R&R a 727 or 4 speed
and transfer case will probably result in (at best) damage to either the
trans or transfer case.

Not to mention what might happen to adjacent parties.

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided