RE: [ihc] Survivors

Well, I would define it like this:

Good Truck = IH Truck, of course!
Actively Involved = Maintaining a driver and driving it, or spending the
better part of perhaps one weekend per month towards getting one back on the
road.

I agree about necessity being a major factor, and it's too bad. I think in
this country we throw away a lot of what's good because it's easier to
replace with something new (but not always better) than it is to repair it.
I like to see the old stuff kept and cared for, whether it's old iron, old
furniture, old books, old people... I don't know; I feel like we're on the
wrong track sometimes in our "newer and younger is better" society.

Greg H. posted a humorous bit by Ogden Nash recently, and it had me browsing
some of his other work last night. I came across this one:

Old Men

People expect old men to die,
They do not really mourn old men.
Old men are different. People look
At them with eyes that wonder when...
People watch with unshocked eyes;
But the old men know when an old man dies.

Now, I guess I'm young yet, but I like to think that I understand these
words anyway. In my mind, I even presume to count myself among them,
somehow... Oh, what the hell am I trying to say... I guess just this: I wish
that little snippet above wasn't so poignant and true.

Geez, talk about "harshing the mellow". I better go get some sunlight,
eh? -John A.

---