[ihc] Re: Starter help 74/75 4wd TA

Dennis,
      How's this sound?  I'm going to put the perfectly functioning old
unit BACK into the truck when I figure out how to get the Autozone one out.
I figured with a new engine, put new everything.  I might as well go back
to rebuilding my own starters and alternators.
Never had a problem with my own units. I've still (somehwere) got a bag of
discrete-diode trios and a bag of the copper starter buttons.
It's just so time intensive doing them myself.  And, for me it's not cost
effective to pay $55 to have a starter rebuilt when I can do it in about an
hour.
I have so many cores now that parts and everything should be a piece of
cake.  The buttons are reversible anyway.  The contacts come in the kit.

-JoelB

                      "Dennis Bernth"
                      <scoutdude@highst        To:       <ihc@domain.elided>
                      ream.net>                cc:       <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
                                               Subject:  Re: Starter help 74/75 4wd TA
                      02/23/2004 09:12
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Dennis Bernth"

Joel-
You've got it right, Autozone starters are junk. The only way I would
consider one is if I could get one of the NEW ones, and they don't have
them for IH applications, I checked the other day. FWIW, I've heard that
the cheaper starters (1 year guarantee vs. lifetime) are often better. The
reason being, only the bad parts are replaced, leaving in a lot of the OEM
stuff. On the 'lifetime' rebuilds, they get a full complement of new parts
from Sri Lanka or Bangladesh or someplace, which last just about long
enough to get your confidence up and leave you stranded. Rebuilding a Delco
starter is not a big deal, but I've priced out the parts to do it myself
and it's just about as cheap to go to a rebuilder as Allan recommends. I
just lost the starter in my 73 today, when it went it went for real. Hit
the key, and the ammeter needle buried to the 'D' side so far you couldn't
see it, and wires started smoking. Took a couple of wires for a 'poor man's
remote starter switch' and when I crossed them, it tried to arc weld them
together. Put on a 'used' starter that was so rusty I couldn't get the
solenoid screws out, but it's working and it was free, and it will probably
last as long as an Autozone 'lifetimer'.
Dennis