Re: [ihc] Starter help 74/75 4wd TA

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 16:16
Subject: [ihc] Starter help 74/75 4wd TA

> Binders,
>       While finishing up my engine swap this weekend, I came to the
> disheartening realization that the NEW (rebuilt) lifetime starter that I
> bought at AutoBone has a sticking solenoid.  When the key is switched to
> the start position the starter continues to run regardless of letting go
of
> the key.  Banging on the starter and solenoid with a hammer fixes the
> situation, and is required each time.  This is a 75 150 1/2T 4wd TA
>
>       So, does anyone prefer a starter from one place over another?  I
> replaced the starter in my 3/4 TA (74 200 3/4T 4wd TA) because the old one
> had a bad nose bushing and the 'new' starter no can no longer turn the
> engine over without help from another battery.  Are the chain store
> starters just junk or what?

I've come to the decision that starters need to be professionally rebuilt.
The low quality chain stores seem to have bad quality control...   NAPA may
have alright starters but I wouldn't even look at an Autozone starter,
friend of mine got a lifetime starter.. it was literally a yearly ritual to
go and trade it in for a brand new one.  Good thing it had the lifetime
warrantee.

-Ryan

---