Re: [ihc] Scout II AT question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>; <oldihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 19:45
Subject: [ihc] Scout II AT question

> I have a chance to get a Scout ('75 or '76, I think) that needs a few body
> panels (which I have located spares for), runs (supposedly), doesn't have
much
> rust (except for the wrecked panels that need replaced), but has a tranny
that
> when last driven (about two years ago) would not go in forward gears
> (supposedly-all hearsay, of course).  The guy I might be getting it from
> thinks it all worked too well for there to be anything too bad wrong with
it
> (old, mountain man type-I trust him on this one!).  He did not have it
when
> the tranny went, but the owner before him said that they were "plowing"
> through a field, hit something, and the tranny went out.
>
> So-does it sound like something simple could have happened that could make
> tranny go out like that?  It DOES still work in reverse, so I don't think
the
> old, Transfer case shifter can be the culprit.  I am getting it quite
cheap,
> but can't really afford a new tranny for it right now, so just looking for
> some general input.
>
> Anyone have any general ideas about anything easy this could be, or is it
> simply likely needing a rebuild?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael

Could be a problem with the shifter cable, if it slides out of the groove at
the bottom it could very well put it into reverse and nothing else.

Probobly just as likely or more likely a broken forward band though I
imagine.  Parts shouldn't be hard to get, standard 727 and nothing would
need to be "converted" to rebuild it.  If you found a good donor 727 you
could just swap the parts over between the two cases.

-Ryan

---