[ihc] Scout II AT question

I have a chance to get a Scout ('75 or '76, I think) that needs a few body
panels (which I have located spares for), runs (supposedly), doesn't have much
rust (except for the wrecked panels that need replaced), but has a tranny that
when last driven (about two years ago) would not go in forward gears
(supposedly-all hearsay, of course).  The guy I might be getting it from
thinks it all worked too well for there to be anything too bad wrong with it
(old, mountain man type-I trust him on this one!).  He did not have it when
the tranny went, but the owner before him said that they were "plowing"
through a field, hit something, and the tranny went out.

So-does it sound like something simple could have happened that could make a
tranny go out like that?  It DOES still work in reverse, so I don't think the
old, Transfer case shifter can be the culprit.  I am getting it quite cheap,
but can't really afford a new tranny for it right now, so just looking for
some general input.

Anyone have any general ideas about anything easy this could be, or is it
simply likely needing a rebuild?

Thanks!

Michael