[ihc] Re: Postal 800 Purchased + help with some questions

Dave,
     Fram offers an air cleaner assembly for single-barrel carbureters that is designed to replace the old oil-bath air cleaners.  I know, as I got one for my '41 Chev pickup back in the '80s.  I saw them in a catalogue somewhere not that long ago, so they should still be available.  They have a black single-piece top that is not flat but rather dished, and the sides go down the side of the air filter element to sort of cover the sides.  You will have to find a parts place that has an actual paper catalogue, as I see nothing on their website that shows it, and my experience is that the web catalogues are not the last word.

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:56:39 -0500
From: David Bongo <dbongo@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Postal 800 Purchased + help with some questions

Well, guys, I did it.  I bought Fleck's Postal 800.  We talked out a few
of the mods I wanted, and he and I kicked around a few ideas.  Which
leads me back here to do some more research.  Hopefully, this august
body can provide further input.
     Also, I have an auxiliary fuel tank out of a full-size Jeep wagon that is designed to fit where the spare tire goes.  I can get you the measurements and a picture if you want.  It may fit your Scout.
-Colin Rush

Cooling - The truck currently has the stock (engine powered) fan.  I was
considering putting a second (electric) fan in front of the radiator to
help with air flow.  This is, provisionally, my preferred solution for
redunancy reasons: if one fan goes (e.g. fan belt breaks, electric motor
breaks) I'll still have some measure of cooling.  John ran the idea of
replacing the stock fan with a high efficiency electric fan.  Which
would also give me a few HP back.  Considering I'll be losing 3HP for
the power steering, regaining 8HP or so from the fan may not be a bad
thing.

Air Handler - It has the original oil-bath filter.  I'd like to replace
it with a paper filter.  Which leaves me with 2 avenues to pursue:
Option 1-find out what air handler will bolt on to that carb and use
that.  This is the cheaper option, and since the carb runs well, it's
very attractive.  Option 2 would run up the costs a bit, and that is
converting to a Weber 32/36 progressive 2 barrel.  Jam Engineering gave
me a price (when I looked into doing this on my 258) of $235 for the
carb, $47 for the 1 barrel adaptor, $20 for the air cleaner, and (If I
can read my handwriting...) $56 for the kickdown linkage kit.  A total
of $358.  A bit pricey, but since it may result in a slight fuel economy
boost and HP boost, worth at least thinking about.

Gas Tank - it currently has a 10 Gal tank.  That's not enough.  I'm
going to check on the Binder Bulletin (there apparently was a discussion
on this a while back, but John can't remember the details) but there is
a tank that fits under the bed.  John thinks it was a plastic tank from
an '89 Ford Van, but he's not sure.  Anybody here know offhand?

Heat Insulation - My Scout II is Herculined on the interior.  Great
stuff.  I've been advised to insulate the 800 for heat.  If I Rhinoline
(not Herculine, Rhinoline) the bed, would that help?  I just like the
durability aspect of it.  I'll do something else if I have to, though.
I'm more flexible with the firewall insulation, so I'm open to any
suggestions there.

I guess that'll be good for now.  More questions as they arise.

Dave

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!