Re: [ihc] Light line diesels

I don't have many facts to add on this topic.  I know that there was a
group of diesel pickups built for Chemlawn in the mid-1960's.  I know
that IH built their own version of the Perkins engine as the D-354 and
this was a not-very-popular option in the Loadstars in 1962-64.   I don't
know if it was this engine in the Chemlawn fleet or if it was a smaller
one.

I would speculate that the installation was engineered as a special order
for Chemlawn, them made available to others since the engineering was
done and I've heard of farmers and truck fleet owners who ordered them
because they wanted a diesel pickup to go with the rest of their
vehicles.  But it wasn't an advertised option that I am aware of and it
received little publicity.

Howard