RE: [ihc] Light line diesels

Yeah, I'm waiting for Howard to give the specifics on the Diesel pickups
IH made.  I'll give what I have heard and welcome Howard to correct any
of it when he gets a chance.  Supposedly in the late '60s Chemlawn, the
lawn care company, wanted Diesel pickups and being longtime IH customers
approached IH to get it done. They were produced in ' 67 or '68. I've
never heard how many were made, less than 50? Maybe.  Supposedly there
is a guy from Nebraska who owns one and brings it to Nats every couple
years. There was a Diesel pickup of the right vintage at RPR in '01, but
I didn't even notice it until it fired up to leave.  It sounded more
like a 6.9/7.3 than an 806 tractor to me.

Side note.  Darrell Miller (formerly of Red Power Magazine) has a '71 or
so IH pickup with what seems to be a Perkins 354 in it.  He bought it at
an estate auction last summer.  It is a conversion done by a small town
mechanic.  Supposedly the mechanic did a lot of work for a sand and
gravel company and the motor may have come from a piece of construction
equipment like a pump or motor grader.  It fits and sure is as smooth to
drive as anything I've ever driven on bias ply tires. It ran out of
steam about 45 mph when I drove, but I think it was having fuel filter
issues.  It is for sale and the truck is pretty sharp, straight, no
rust, good paint.

Ed