Reply: [ihc] Postal 800 Scout II Front Axle

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, David Bongo wrote:

> OK, guys.  Thanks for all the help.  I'm sorry for not replying (or
> thanking you all) individually, but there's just been so much input on
> this.
>
> OK, on to specific issues:
>
> Turning radius/ drum brakes: When I told John I wanted front Discs, he
> told me that the best way would be to swap in a Scout II front 2WD Axle
> and narrow it down.  (Which solves the drum brakes all around problem).
> I just gave him a call, and asked if we could leave the Scout II axle at
> its original length and how that would help.  He said that it should
> provide for tighter turning, since the wheels could turn further before
> hitting the frame.

<snip>

> My analysis: The Scout II is great, the Cherokee is a bit too wide.  How
> big of an improvement will smaller tires and a Scout II axle provide?
> And what problems (if any) will the differing wheel tracks cause?

<snip>

> Power Steering - John says he can handle it, and a preliminary estimate
> doesn't seem too bad.  (I won't make him sit down a figure out a firm
> number until I KNOW I'm going to buy the truck.)

<snip>

> Power Brakes - John thinks the non-powered brakes will be fine.  (The
> 800 is, apparently, about 1000 lbs lighter than the Scout II)  Even
> though I was talking about paying him to do the work, he felt it was
> unneccessary.  Nice to deal with an honest guy.

<snip>

> As for the defroster (my main concern.  In this part of Florida we do
> need heat ocassionally, me a little more so since the window is open.
> But still not often, so even a poorly working heater would be fine)

I'm in Miami - which part of FLorida do you live in?

I have an extra 1975 4X2 Scout Traveler, complete (power steering, power
brakes, etc) with rust - which I need to get rid of.

In fact - if it would help - you could have the body/chassis minus
engine/trans.

The only other caveat is that I may also need the rear axle - which I
won't know for a week or so.

I'm not looking to sell it, my Scout projects are far along enough that
this vehicle is surplus and in the way (read I'm a married man).

I believe that I also have a spare 3:08 (3:03?) Scout II rear axle - drum
to drum.

Would this help?

This is stuff I've accummulated while building toward the current Scout
project, and is no longer needed.

Any one need a good Traveler top?

Don't worry about explaining why you want the 800 and not another vehicle.

In my case, a J**p CJ type 4X4 (short wheelbase 4X4) would be more cost
effective for what I want, but if I wanted a J**p CJ, I'd bought a Jeep
CJ.

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided