RE; [ihc] More Postal 800 talk

=From: David Bongo <dbongo@domain.elided>
=Subject: [ihc] More Postal 800 talk
=snippa=
=Turning radius/ drum brakes:
Scout II axle will fix that, but will be 4 inches wider
than the 800 rear axle.
Not really a problem, but may look slightly strange.
(No stranger than a guy driving a 30 + year old IH truck
delivering the mail, and sitting on the wrong side to boot. <g>)

=Power Brakes
=snippe=
I got manual drums on my 72 SII, they work fine as long as I
dont overdrive em. With the 152, I dont think you will have
that problem. <g>

=Onto the general conversations:
=snippo=
Wow. Sounds like yall have a real tough time finding and
keeping those RHD vehicles running. I would never have
imagined that it would be so much of an ordeal.

=As for the defroster
=snippi=
Every IH Ive owned always had
a more than adequate heater/defroster for South Alabama.

=Lastly, Ed Sohm makes some good recommendations.
=snippu=
I think the 152 will be adequate as long as it is used as such.
If you want a bigger 4 or a V8, you may not be happy with
the 152. The lower gears really do make the engine perform
well, but only within its limitations.
I think your biggest problem will be heat dissipation with
the stop and go stuff.
I would suggest an aux trans cooler, and an electric engine fan.
Both in conjunction with the stock units.
You may want one of the dash mounted
people cooler fans too. <G>

=I like the idea of heat-proofing the floor.
=snippy=
That, my friend, IMHO, is a MUST with your stop-and-go deal in FL.
I dont know how far South you are.
My 72 SII runs a 304 with duals, its white with a black
Bestop and seats, and a black Gator Guarded floor, no carpet.
In the AL summer heat, driving along with the sides and back of
the top rolled up its not too bad, if you call 98 degrees with 100
percent humidity not too bad <g>, but if you have to idle or drive
slowly for any length of time, the interior heat climbs rapidly.
On really hot/humid July days, even a 3 minute traffic light
can be really uncomfortable.

=Again, all comments are not only
=welcome, but encouraged and appreciated.
=Dave

Mike Toney
Mobile, AL.
Southern International Harvester Owners [S.I.H.O.]
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/southernihowners
72 Scout II, 4x4, 304, T18, 3:31
73 1010 Travelall, 2wd, 345, 727, 3:54
http://www.myinternationaltrucks.iwarp.com/