[ihc] Rear axles parting company

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:05:33 -0500
From: nick <scout@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [ihc] Nick's 3 wheeler

Hi Jim,

Yes this is a Scout II.
Napa  Premium bearings and collar were installed on both axles at a napa
store in Kent Washington about 4 or 5 years ago.  I had it up on a
hoist  in August  and movement (end play) was not excessive.  There were
no unusual noises prior to a loud bang and the axle was gone.

I replaced the axle and bearings (including races) on both sides with
the ones in the used axle I bought after cleaning, inspecting and
regreasing.  They are Timken bearings.  The bearing on the original axle
from the other side was still in very good shape  so I will keep it for
a spare.

Nick
Nick, your post implies that you are/were still using the inner seals and relying on grease lubrication. In that scenario, pulling the bearing for a repack prolly ought to be an annual PM. Either that or tapping the housing for a zerk a la the earlier tapered axle 44's(and hoping the extra grease goes past the inner seal and not the outer). Otherwise, the consensus seems to be that you're best off ditching the inner seal and relying on the diff oil for lube. Most folks feel better having the diff over-filled going this way, altho' IH went this route in the latter part of SII production without raising the fill plug location. I know with the Bronco high pinion front cover on the back of my Traveler I am 'gosh darn' sure there is gear oil getting to the bearings. FWIW, Timken likes oil for bearing lube better than grease.

Dunno who makes the NAPA bearings. Timken were OEM, and I've not heard of a documented Set10 failure in service. Sounds like Greg's L-B units might do the trick as well, he tends to have pretty good judgement in such things ;)

Jim